An elderly couple from South Carolina was found dead inside their home after police executed a wellness check on behalf of concerned family members.
The pair, 84-year-old Joan Littlejohn and 82-year-old Glennwood Fowler, were found dead in a bedroom. While there were no signs of a struggle or foul play, the Spartanburg County Coroner’s Office is currently investigating.
When first responders arrived at the scene, they noted “extremely high heat” coming from the residence. A medic attempted to take the temperature of both victims, but the device could only measure up to 106 degrees.
“Both victims exceeded 106 degrees,” the report stated.
After the fire department arrived they discovered the interior of the house exceeded 120 degrees, even after the residence had been open to the outside cold air “for about 20 minutes.”
“They then checked the basement of the residence where the heater and hot water heater were located,” the police report stated. “One firefighter stated the heater was so hot it looked as if the basement was currently on fire.”
After the heater was deactivated, authorities determined the temperature of the heater to be over 1,000 degrees.
Officials learned through speaking with the victims’ family members that the couple had been having trouble heating their home. The last time anyone saw them, family “fiddled” with the wiring near the pilot light.