Asian hornets, known as Vespa velutina nigrithorax, which are native to Southeast Asia have been found in an abandoned home in St Brelades, a town located on the Channel Island in the United Kingdom.
This species is considered invasive because of its ability to displace local hornet populations and wreak havoc on ecosystems by attacking the honeybees population. They can also be very aggressive towards humans.
The first time Asian hornets found their way into Europe was through a nest hidden abroad a ship. They were first spotted in the south of France from where they spread throughout the continent, including United Kingdom.
The Channel Islands, including St Brelades, are particularly susceptible to the presence of these hornets due to their proximity to mainland Europe.
The nest found in St Brelades marks 171 nests of Asian hornets found this year in the United Kingdom compared to the 71 found at this time last year.
Authorities have concerns that their ability to keep this species out of the country is slipping away.
They are issuing warnings for the citizens to be extra cautious in case they stumble upon a nest of Asian hornets.
Since the spread of these hornets is fast, people should learn how to effectively handle such situations.
The most common places they can be found are:
- Houses and buildings
- Nests in trees and shrubs
- In orchards
- Anywhere that they can find a warm place to hide during the winter months.
In case you stumble upon an Asian hornet nest, there are some thing to have in mind since they can get extremely aggressive in case their habitat is disturbed.
- Observe and Report: Do not try to remove it all by yourself since that requires appropriate expertise. Don’t even disturb them, as they can easily attack you. Instead, inform the local authorities and provide them with the exact location. If you live in the United Kingdon, you should contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency. They possess the right equipment and resources for dealing with Asian hornets.
- Maintain Distance: Don’t get near the nest because that can trigger an attack. In case you get attacked, have in mind that these insects’ sting is extremely painful.
- Educate Yourself: Get to know more about this insects as that can help in case you come across with them.
- Protect Your Property: If you are aware of the existence of a nest near your residence, make sure you do all in your power to prevent them from getting indoors. Fix any small cracks and don’t keep the windows and doors open.
- Seek Professional Assistance: Always contact professional pest control service in case you see an Asian hornet nest. They are the ones who would take care of the problem most effectively.
If we take precautions and seek professional assistance to deal with the Asian hornets, we help protect the ecosystem and those living around us.
Please SHARE this article with your family and friends on Facebook.